From Friday July 1, 2022 we're moving accounts that were created before April 20, 2022 to our updated pricing model.
Under the updated pricing model, we've grouped Surveys and Feedback into a separate product called Ask that’s priced based on the number of responses you want to collect across Surveys and Feedback. Heatmaps and Recordings will be grouped into a separate product called Observe and will still be priced based on the number of daily sessions.
Both products, Observe and Ask, will have the Basic (free), Plus, Business, and Scale plans available, and the selected plan can be different for each product.
See the Updating our pricing model blog post for all the details on this update.
Hotjar is a powerful tool that reveals the online behavior and voice of your users. By combining both Analysis and Feedback tools, Hotjar gives you the ‘big picture’ of how to improve your site's user experience and performance/conversion rates.
The Analysis tools allow you to measure and observe user behavior (see what users do) while the Feedback tools enable you to "hear" what your users have to say (the Voice of User). To improve your site's user experience and performance/conversion rates, check out a complete write-up on What is Hotjar? in our blog.
Understand what users want, care about and do on your site by visually representing their clicks, taps and scrolling behavior - which are the strongest indicators of user motivation and desire.
Heatmap 101: Guide to Heatmaps
Check out our Heatmap Guide to discover how to get started with Heatmaps and understand user behavior.
Eliminate guesswork with Recordings of real user behavior on your site. By seeing your user's clicks, taps, and mouse movements you can identify usability issues on the ﬂy.
Improving the performance and experience of your website starts with understanding what your users want and what's preventing them from achieving it. Target questions to specific users anywhere on your website, mobile site, or invite your users right before they abandon your site to uncover their objections or concerns.
External Link Surveys
Build your own responsive surveys and collect responses in real-time from any device. Distribute your External Link Surveys using web links or via email.
Our incoming feedback feature allows you to get instant visual feedback for your website. It allows you to see what people love and hate, identify issues, and find opportunities for growth.
Hotjar vs. Alternatives
Hotjar is evolving in the way that it captures user behavior data and delivers insights. Hotjar’s previous method of data capture was based on the process of manually creating ‘snapshots’ - on-demand reports based on a number of pageviews. These snapshots had to be created separately in our Heatmaps and Recordings tools, and manually restarted when finished. This was a manual process and it led to gaps in understanding user behavior.
Hotjar’s way of working is evolving to capture user sessions: recording a user’s visit to your site (a session) and providing insights based on their whole visit. This method of Continuous Capture means that you do not need to manually create and enable snapshots. With Continuous Capture enabled, you can sit back and watch the insights roll in as user sessions within your plan’s sample are recorded. To learn more about sessions and sampling as they relate to Continuous Capture, check out our article on Continuous Recordings.
Check out our case studies!
See other companies' success with Hotjar Analytics and Feedback in ourHeatmap 101 Guide.
How is Hotjar different from Google Analytics?
Hotjar is not an alternative to Google Analytics. In fact, Hotjar should ideally be used together with a web analytics solution.
While web analytics software tools like Google Analytics will give you data about the pages your users are visiting (for example, which page has the highest bounce rate or conversion rate), they will not show you how your users are really using the pages themselves.
With Hotjar, you can understand your web and mobile site users by seeing how they interact with your pages and by understanding why they behave the way they do. This allows you to quickly identify opportunities for improvement and growth.
Google Analytics reports that your homepage has a very high bounce rate. Hotjar will tell you exactly why that is happening, using Heatmaps, Recordings, and Surveys, allowing you to make the changes needed to decrease bounce rate.
You can use Hotjar to:
- Compare taps and clicks before & after tweaks.
- Remove or rethink ignored content.
- Align page copy to the same words used by your users in their feedback.
- See which type of imagery works best.
- Know whether your CTAs are attracting attention.
- Ask customers what made them nearly not convert.
- Translate common feedback comments into FAQs.
- Give your clients or boss proof of what works or not.
- Challenge internal misconceptions & 'best practices'.
- Improve Forms to generate more leads.
- Restructure layout based on user objections.
- Test what content works best above the fold.
- Understand why test pages do not beat the control.
- Learn what content to move higher or lower on the page.
- Uncover distracting elements that you should remove.
- Filter out noise from unqualified user tests.
- Speak directly to users before they leave the page.
- Prioritize where to test first by identifying big opportunities.
- Identify what new content you need to add to the page.
- Confirm your hypothesis before creating new elements.
- Generate new A/B test ideas.
- Collect valuable testimonials from customers.
- Improve your UX on different screen resolutions.