Hotjar is a powerful tool that reveals the online behavior and voice of your users. By combining both Analysis and Feedback tools, Hotjar gives you the ‘big picture’ of how to improve your site's user experience and performance/conversion rates.
The Analysis tools allow you to measure and observe user behavior (see what users do) while the Feedback tools enable you to "hear" what your users have to say (the Voice of User). To improve your site's user experience and performance/conversion rates, check out a complete write-up on What is Hotjar? in our blog.
Understand what users want, care about and do on your site by visually representing their clicks, taps and scrolling behavior - which are the strongest indicators of visitor motivation and desire.
Heatmap 101: Guide to Heatmaps
Check out our Heatmap Guide to discover how to get started with Heatmaps and understand user behavior.
Eliminate guesswork with Recordings of real visitor behavior on your site. By seeing your visitor's clicks, taps, and mouse movements you can identify usability issues on the ﬂy.
Find the biggest opportunities for improvement and testing by identifying on which page and at which step most visitors are leaving your site.
Improve online form completion rates by discovering which fields take too long to ﬁll, which are left blank, and why your visitors abandon your form and page.
Improving the performance and experience of your website starts with understanding what your visitors want and what's preventing them from achieving it. Target questions to specific visitors anywhere on your website, mobile site, or invite your visitors right before they abandon your site to uncover their objections or concerns.
External Link Surveys
Build your own responsive surveys and collect responses in real-time from any device. Distribute your External Link Surveys using web links or via email.
Our incoming feedback feature allows you to get instant visual feedback for your website. It allows you to see what people love and hate, identify issues, and find opportunities for growth.
Hotjar vs. Alternatives
Hotjar is unique in the way it approaches data collection and pricing. Hotjar’s competitors in the analytics field automatically collect data from all visitors and all pages of a site and then charge their customers based on the number of total visitors to the site. This always-on approach to collecting and storing data makes it very expensive to reveal specific opportunities and insights.
Instead, Hotjar offers simple, affordable plans with unlimited insights. This is achieved by doing two things:
- Hotjar only collects data from a sample of visitors on a site. A proprietary sampling engine distributes this sampling evenly over the course of a day.
- Instead of collecting data from all pages, Hotjar takes an On-demand report approach. You can generate an unlimited amount of snapshot reports on an unlimited number of pages.
This makes Hotjar ideal for fast-moving and lean organizations since it allows for rapid changes and followup snapshot reports. Hotjar also allows you track to unlimited sites and add as many team members you need – making it extremely affordable and valuable.
Check out our case studies!
See other companies' success with Hotjar Analytics and Feedback in our Heatmap 101 Guide.
How is Hotjar different from Google Analytics?
Hotjar is not an alternative to Google Analytics. In fact, Hotjar should ideally be used together with a web analytics solution.
While web analytics software tools like Google Analytics will give you data about the pages your users are visiting (for example, which page has the highest bounce rate or conversion rate), they will not show you how your visitors are really using the pages themselves.
With Hotjar, you can understand your web and mobile site visitors by seeing how they interact with your pages and by understanding why they behave the way they do. This allows you to quickly identify opportunities for improvement and growth.
Google Analytics reports that your homepage has a very high bounce rate. Hotjar will tell you exactly why that is happening, using Heatmaps, Recordings, and Surveys, allowing you to make the changes needed to decrease bounce rate.
You can use Hotjar to:
- Compare taps and clicks before & after tweaks.
- Remove or rethink ignored content.
- Align page copy to the same words used by your visitors in their feedback.
- See which type of imagery works best.
- Know whether your CTAs are attracting attention.
- Ask customers what made them nearly not convert.
- Translate common feedback comments into FAQs.
- Give your clients or boss proof of what works or not.
- Challenge internal misconceptions & 'best practices'.
- Overhaul Forms to generate more leads.
- Restructure layout based on visitors' objections.
- Test what content works best above the fold.
- Understand why test pages do not beat the control.
- Learn what content to move higher or lower on the page.
- Uncover distracting elements that you should remove.
- Filter out noise from unqualified user tests.
- Speak directly to visitors before they leave the page.
- Prioritize where to test first by identifying big opportunities.
- Identify what new content you need to add to the page.
- Confirm your hypothesis before creating new elements.
- Generate new A/B test ideas.
- Collect valuable testimonials from customers.
- Improve your UX on different screen resolutions.