The Hotjar + HubSpot integration allows you to have Hotjar recordings and survey responses appear automatically in your contact timeline. You can also use Hotjar data to create automations in HubSpot. To use this integration, you need:
- An active HubSpot account
- A Hotjar account with a Site using a Business or Scale plan.
- The HubSpot tracking code and Hotjar tracking code installed on your site.
- An active On-site Survey: Popover or Full screen (if you want to track survey responses). Link Surveys are not supported.
In this article, we cover the following:
- Activating the HubSpot integration
- Using Hotjar data to create lists and automations in HubSpot
- Common use cases for the HubSpot integration
- List of Hotjar parameters available in HubSpot
- Removing Hotjar from HubSpot
Activating the HubSpot integration
The Hotjar tools and integrations are designed to support GDPR compliance. You can learn more about it in Processing Personal Data in Hotjar. Before you start using this integration, make sure that you have your users' consent to collect and process their data.
Go to the Hotjar Integrations page.
Select the Site where you want to activate the integration in the drop-down menu.
Choose the HubSpot integration and click Connect with HubSpot.
Log in to HubSpot and click Choose Account on your Hotjar account.
Click Grant Access.
The following screen confirms that the apps have been successfully connected:
Customize your HubSpot integration.
You can send both recordings and survey responses to HubSpot. Customize your setup by enabling or disabling these options in the Integrations tab.
Enable Hotjar filters on your HubSpot timeline.
Go to HubSpot. Open a contact's timeline and add the Hotjar integration filter.
When a contact interacts with your website, Hotjar adds a session recording to your contact's timeline in HubSpot. It takes about one minute for a recording to appear in HubSpot after a visitor leaves your website. If the contact fills out your Hotjar survey, you'll also see their responses on the HubSpot timeline.
Using Hotjar data to create lists and automations in HubSpot
You can use the Hotjar parameters attached to recordings and surveys to create automated workflows in HubSpot.
In HubSpot, go to Contacts > Lists and click Create list.
Add List name, click Next.
Click + Add filter.
Find filters related to the Hotjar integration and add them to your list. Take a look at the full list of Hotjar parameters available in HubSpot to choose the ones that will help you reach your goals.
Combine Hotjar data with additional HubSpot properties.
Click Save list.
Use your list to create automations for your team.
You can use the list build based on the Hotjar filters as a trigger for a HubSpot Workflow. For example, you can automatically create tasks for your sales team if a specific action occurs in Hotjar. To create a new automation from scratch, follow HubSpot's guide on how to create workflows.
Common use cases for the HubSpot integration
Prepare for sales calls and personalize follow-up
As a Sales Representative, you can watch Hotjar session recordings from the HubSpot contact timeline to see how customers interact with your website or product and what content or products they are interested in. This insight can help you have more effective conversations based on user behavior or write more personalized follow-up emails
Prepare for customer calls and address pain points
As a Customer Success Manager, you can see how customers interact with your product. This can help you tailor calls to meet their needs, address pain points more effectively, and provide better training and support.
Automate sales enablement based on user behavior
You can use Hotjar session data combined with other HubSpot criteria to create workflows in HubSpot that automate notifications to sales representatives or generate tasks for follow-up when a contact performs specific actions (rage-clicks, U-turns). This enables sales representatives to focus their time on more promising leads and follow up with them in a timely manner.
Enrich marketing campaign targeting with Hotjar session data
Marketers can create custom lists of contacts to target in HubSpot. You can enrich these lists with Hotjar session properties such as U-turns, rage clicks, or a number of actions taken. This can help you create a more personalized segmentation.
Solve customer support queries faster
As a Support agent, you can use HubSpot Services Hub to manage interactions with customers. With Hotjar session recordings in the HubSpot contact timeline, you can see a customer's experience on our website or product and identify where they got stuck. This saves lots of time in trying to get to the root of an issue and helps provide better support and resolve issues quicker.
List of Hotjar parameters available in HubSpot
You can use the following Hotjar parameters to create lists in HubSpot:
- For Recordings:
- Exit page URL
- Landing page URL
- Number of actions in the Recording
- Number of pages visited in the Recording
- Rage Click
- Recording Duration (seconds)
- URL where to watch the Recording
- For Surveys:
- Survey URL
- Survey name
Please keep in mind the following limitations:
- The contact must exist before the survey is submitted or the user session ends in order for Hotjar to attach a survey response or a recording to the contact.
- The user must be identified as a contact by HubSpot for data to show up on their timeline.
- Link Surveys can't be tracked with the HubSpot integration.
- If the contact answers a survey response from a different device, or browser, or cleared their cookies, we may not be able to link the same contact with their survey response.
- This integration doesn't support User Attributes, so attributes that are associated with a survey response aren't sent to HubSpot.
- Session capture and response limits based on your plan impact the number of recordings and survey responses sent to the contact timeline and properties available for creating lists and triggering automations.
Removing Hotjar from HubSpot
Follow the steps below to disconnect Hotjar from your HubSpot account.
In HubSpot, go to Marketplace > Connected apps.
Click Actions on the Hotjar integration and click Uninstall.
In the dialog box, type uninstall in the text field and click Uninstall.
In Hotjar, go to your Integrations page and click Disconnect HubSpot integration.