Number of visits to the form
The conversion rate is calculated using this formula:
(successful form submits / sessions) * 100
- An interaction is counted when a visitor clicks, taps or tabs to a field.
- The value can only be one per field per session - Multiple clicks, taps or tabs are still counted as one interaction if they occur in the same session.
Average Interaction Time
- We track the average time in milliseconds between the first click, tap or tab on a field – and – click, tap or tab away from the field (.focus() and .blur());
- If a visitor returns (click, tap or tab) to a previously used field the average time continues to be counted from the previous value;
In the Hotjar admin, the value shown is the average time of all the visits to the page;
- A refill count is incremented every time a visitor re-clicks, taps or tabs to a field and changes existing content (.focus(), .keypress()).
- Value can be more than 1 per session - Multiple re-clicks, taps or tabs to a field and changes to existing content keeps on incrementing the refill value. So for example, 1 Interaction can have 4 refills in the same fields.
In the Hotjar admin, the refill percentage value is calculated by expressing the total refills as a percentage of total interactions. ((refill / interaction) * 100)
Left Blank Count
- A blank field count is incremented only when a field is left empty, even though there can be an interaction e.g. only click when the visitor submits the Form.
- Value can be more than 1 per session - Multiple Form submits of a blank field are all counted - even if done by the same visitor.
In the Hotjar admin, the percentage is calculated as the total number of times a visitor submits a blank field as a percentage of the total number of submits (successful + failed). ((blank / total_form_submits) * 100)
- A fill-in occurs when a visitor enters at least one value, any value, into a given field unique to the session.
- A drop-off occurs at the first field in the fields sequence that the visitor did not fill in after the last fill in – before abandoning the page, the session ends. So, if one of the fields was skipped, the dropoff occurs at the very last field that was not filled in, not the field that was skipped.
- If a visitor does not fill in any field in the Form the drop off is shown on the first-page step.
- If the user successfully submits the Form a dropoff is not calculated.
- If all fields have been filled in, but the Form is not submitted, successfully or not, a dropoff is calculated on the last field in the sequence just before the submit.
In the Hotjar admin, the percentage is calculated as the total number of times a visitor drops off as a percentage of the total number of sessions ((dropoff/sessions) * 100).
Successful Submit Count
- A successful submit occurs when the page where the Form is shown returns a message that the Form was successfully submitted.
- Tracking: A submit() event happens on the Form, the page changes to a different URL and the Form is no longer present, manual tracking: hj('formSubmitSuccessful')
Failed Submit Count
- A failed submit occurs when the page where the Form is shown returns a message that the Form failed to submit.
- Tracking: A submit() event happens on the Form, the page stays the same or reloads with the Form, manual tracking: hj('formSubmitFailed')
In the Hotjar admin, the percentage is calculated as the total number of failed Form submits as a percentage of total Form submits (successful + failed). ((failed submits / total_form_submits) * 100)