Hotjar makes use of sampling to determine which of your visitors should be recorded if your traffic is more than what your Organization's plan allows. To ensure that your sampled data is as accurate as possible, Hotjar developed a proprietary sampling engine which distributes data collection evenly over the course of a day.
Depending on the Hotjar plan you are subscribed to, Hotjar will analyze your Organization's traffic and constantly adjust the sample rate by trying to predict how much traffic your Sites will receive over the next 24 hours. Our sampling engine ensures that Hotjar records the maximum amount of visitors that your plan allows. Below are the thresholds for each plan:
- Hotjar Basic: 2,000 daily pageviews
- Hotjar Plus: 10,000 daily pageviews
- Hotjar Business: 20,000 daily pageviews
We also provide custom higher sample rates for Sites with high volumes of traffic and for users who wish to record all visitors. Contact us for higher sample rates using the Support button below.
Sampling is only used in Analysis tools like Heatmaps, Recordings, Funnels, and Forms. All Feedback tools collect data from 100% of your visitors.
How do I know when my data is sampled?
Whenever a Funnel, Form or Heatmap is using sampled data, you will see a notice saying "This <feature> is based on a sample of your total visitors". If this notice is not visible, that means that Hotjar did not sample your visitors for the report you are viewing.
You can also visualize how much traffic Hotjar is collecting data from on your sites.
Sampling Visualisation is not available for all accounts.
This information is available in two places:
- Bottom-Left Sidebar: You can see what percentage of your site’s traffic Hotjar is recording. If you click on Learn more, you can see a detailed view of your current data collection rate and also how much traffic Hotjar would be able to track on different plans. Non-account owners can also view this information, although they cannot change plans themselves. Instead, they can request a plan change which would notify the site’s account owner via email.
- Plans & Billing page: Sampling Visualisation can be seen on the Plans & Billing page. Altering plans allows the account owner to identify the best data collection plan for your sites, based on their traffic.
The data within these graphs is updated daily and the calculation is based on estimated traffic from the past 7 days. Sites with very low or sporadic traffic might experience regular changes in data collection percentages.
Understanding the data collection graph
Each bar represents 1 day of traffic. If your site has more traffic than what your Hotjar data collection plan allows, the total pageviews reported is an estimate.
Each bar can have up to 3 colors to visualize information:
- Blue: Shows the data Hotjar is recording on the current data collection plan.
- Grey: Shows the data Hotjar is not recording based on an estimate of your site’s traffic.
- Green: Seen only when changing plans, shows what Hotjar would record when updating the data collection plan to the selected one.