The Feedback tool allows you to get visual and instant feedback from your users. Ask your users directly which elements of your site they love and which they would like you to improve. The Feedback tool removes the guesswork from improving your user experiences.
Need help setting up a Feedback widget?
For a step-by-step guide on setting up your Feedback widget, head to How to Set Up Feedback.
The Feedback Widget
The placement of the Feedback widget is configurable in your settings, and the appearance adjusts depending on the location chosen.
- When placed at the bottom right or left of the screen, the Feedback widget contains a customizable short welcome text.
- If placed on the middle left or right of the screen, your users will see a Feedback indicator. This positioning of the widget makes it appear more compact.
Your users can activate the Feedback widget by clicking on it. If they don't want to leave a response, they can also click the X to minimize the widget.
Hotjar sets a cookie on the user's browser
A cookie is set when a user minimizes a feedback widget or submits a response to your feedback widget. The next time the user goes back to your site or navigates to another page, the feedback widget will load as minimized immediately. Learn more about the cookies we store.
If your user chooses to leave feedback, they are first asked to rate their experience on your site from Hate all the way up to Love, giving a valuable first impression of user experience with your site.
In addition to the rating, the prompt asks to provide a longer description of exactly what made them rate your site in this way. Optional custom text can also be added to the widget's footer, to direct your user to other resources if needed.
As part of the additional feedback, users can take a screenshot of the specific elements on your page that prompts them to provide feedback to you.
The user can then add their email address as part of the response if they would like to be contacted for further follow-up.
This can be useful if you need further information from their visit to solve a problem identified with the site, to notify them once something has been fixed, or if you just want to say thanks personally. Once your user submits their feedback response, they will receive a final thank you message, and the Feedback widget will return to a collapsed state.
Widgets no longer show the welcome message once they have been completed — or after they are closed by your user. This keeps the widget out of the way but still allows your users to provide additional feedback in the future.
Feedback widgets can be customized in many ways, including:
- Language support for non-customizable elements.
- Customize the widget label text when positioned on the middle left or right, available on Ask Business plans or higher.
- Four different positions where the widget appears on the page (middle left, middle right, bottom left, bottom right).
- Customize emoticon styles or use a five-star rating scale, only available on Ask Business plans or higher.
- Accent and alternate light/dark colors for the icon and buttons, only available on Ask Business plans or higher.
- Toggle Hotjar branding, only available on Ask Business plans or higher.
- Automatically capture full page screenshots with each submitted response.
- Optionally add custom text to the footer of the feedback widget.
- Optionally collect an email address from users.
Feedback widgets can be targeted to appear based on:
- Desktop, tablet, mobile device types or a combination.
- Users visiting a specific URL.
- The User Attributes of the particular user, available on Ask Business plan or higher.
- A specific percentage of user traffic, available on Ask Plus plan or higher.
Forwarding feedback responses
- Forward feedback responses to Slack, available on Ask Business or higher.
- Forward feedback containing a respondent's email address to a specific email account.
- Add the widget to a workflow via Zapier, available on Ask Business or higher.
Responses and results
Can I see User Attributes in my Feedback responses?
User Attributes are currently only visible in the downloaded file for Survey responses. We hope to expand this to the Feedback tool, and also make the attributes visible within Hotjar in the future. However, currently, this functionality is not available.
Hotjar offers several ways of viewing and filtering responses to your feedback widget. This includes listing the individual responses in a table or card view, with associated metadata given for each response. You can also view an average feedback score based on results over time. Our filters enable you to refine your results based on response date, rating level, or even keywords. See our guide on Viewing Your Feedback Responses for all the details on viewing and filtering your feedback widget response data.
Try it out!
Get a feel for the Feedback tool by giving us feedback. Our widget is located on the right of the page. If you like what you see, head to How to Set Up Feedback to get started.