Hotjar's Incoming Feedback allows you to get visual and instant feedback from your visitors. Ask your visitors directly which elements of your site they love and which they would like you to improve.
Incoming Feedback removes the guesswork from improving your visitor experiences.
See how Hotjar uses Incoming Feedback
Get an inside look on how we use Incoming Feedback on an ongoing basis.
The Incoming Feedback Widget
The placement of the Incoming Feedback widget is configurable in your settings, and the appearance adjusts depending on the location chosen.
When placed at the bottom of the screen, the Incoming Feedback widget contains a short welcome text which is customizable. If placed on the left or right of the screen, your visitors will see a Feedback indicator. Widgets placed on the bottom of the screen show a welcome message. Widgets on the left/right are more compact.
Your visitors can activate Incoming Feedback by clicking on the widget. If they don't want to leave feedback they can click the X to minimize widgets on the bottom of the screen to take up less space.
Hotjar sets a cookie on the visitors browser
This is done when a visitor minimizes or completes Incoming Feedback. The next time the visitor goes back to the site or navigate to another page, the Incoming Feedback will load as minimized immediately. Learn more about the cookies we store.
If your visitor chooses to leave feedback, they are first asked to rate their experience on your site from Hate all the way up to Love, giving a valuable first impression of visitor experience with your site.
In addition to the rating, the prompt asks to provide a longer description of exactly what made them rate your site in this way.
Prompt for your visitors to add more detail to their feedback.
As part of the additional feedback, users are also given the opportunity to take a screenshot of the specific elements on your page that prompts them to provide feedback to you.
Optionally users can also provide a screenshot of the page or of a specific element which has prompted them to provide feedback or leave an email address if they would like you to follow up their feedback via email.
This can be useful if you need further information from your visitor to solve a problem identified with the site, to notify them once something has been fixed, or if you just want to say thanks personally.
Once your visitor submits their feedback, they will receive a final thank you message and the Feedback widget will return to a collapsed state.
Widgets placed on the bottom no longer show the welcome message once they have been completed — or after they are closed by your visitor. This keeps the widget out of the way but still allows your visitors to provide additional feedback in the future.
Incoming Feedback can be customized in a number of ways, including:
- Position where the widget appears on the page
- Accent and alternate light/dark colors for the icon and other features
- Fully customizable messages for each step of the feedback process
- The ability to automatically capture full page screenshots with every submitted feedback
- Language support for non-customizable elements
- Targeting to desktop, tablets or mobile users specifically
- Target specific pages by URL
- Optionally collect email from visitors giving feedback
- Forward feedback containing an email address to a specific email account
- Target a specific % of visitors available on Plus plan or higher
- Toggle Hotjar branding, only available on Business plans
- Customize emoticon styles or use a five star rating scale, only available on Business plans
Try it out!
Get a feel for Incoming Feedback by giving us feedback. Our widget is located on the left of the page.