Give your Poll a Name.
Giving your Poll a descriptive name will help you to be able to identify it easily. This name is not seen by your visitors.
Add your Questions.
This step allows you to set up the questions you want to ask your users. Your new Poll has two questions by default.
Hotjar's Polls supports the following question types:
- Long text answers - Displays a multi-line text box for the user to type in.
- Short text answers - Displays a single-line text field for the user to type in.
- Email (with validation) - Only accepts __@__.__ format. The validation checks the email address format but doesn't check to determine if the email address given is connected to an active inbox.
- Yes/No - 'Yes' and 'No' appear as radio buttons for the user to choose from.
- Radio buttons - allows free-form comments and randomization of answers options.
- Checkboxes - allows free-form comments and randomization of answers options.
- 1-5 and/or 1-7 Rating Scale - A custom question appears over a rating scale, allowing users to select a number 1-5 or 1-7.
- Net Promoter Score®
You can also:
- Easily add, delete, modify and re-order questions as needed.
- See a preview of how your Poll will show and work – you can use it to test out the experience before you activate the Poll.
- Drag and drop questions from the Question Bank to help you get started. These pre-defined questions are an easy way to get quickly set up.
- Add a Thank You message shown to visitors when they complete the Poll.
Mandatory questions are not possible at this time
It is currently not possible to make any questions mandatory or required for the user to answer. If a Poll is left without all the questions responded to, the questions with no reply will not show any content in your dashboard.
Modify Poll Appearance.
In this section, you will be able to modify your Poll's language, its position on your page, background color as well as hide the Hotjar branding (available on Business plans only).
Select Page Targeting.
In this section you will be able to:
- Select the device types that you'd like the Poll to appear on.
- Choose which pages the Poll should appear on. For more information, read our Page Targeting for Feedback Tools article and guide on how to Exclude Pages from being targeted.
- Set how many visitors should see this Poll as a percentage of your total visitors (Plus plan feature).
Determine Poll Behavior.
From this section you will be able to:
- Set when the Poll should launch on the page
- Set how persistent the Poll should be
For more information on this section, read our Survey and Poll Behaviors Explained article.
Set the Poll status to Active and save your Poll by clicking Create Poll.
Once you save your Poll, it will appear in your Polls list. From here, you can set a Poll to Active or Inactive, view responses, edit your Poll, create a copy of it or delete it.
After Poll is made, edits will alter responses
To make edits to your questions, it is best to create a new Poll rather than change question content. This is because Hotjar associates responses to the questions based on the question text. If you change the question text (even a small change, like different punctuation), the previous responses will no longer appear in your Poll reports.
Check out our Troubleshooting Widgets article if you encounter any issues.
Net Promoter, Net Promoter System, Net Promoter Score, NPS and the NPS-related emoticons are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Inc., Fred Reichheld and Satmetrix Systems, Inc.