- Recordings player: You're here. This is where the magic happens and you get to see how users interact with your site.
- Recordings configuration: This is where you start or configure Recordings capture.
- Recordings playback list: This is where you find and access Recordings of your users.
- Recordings troubleshooting FAQ: Having any trouble with Recordings? Look here!
Exploring the Recordings Player
When you open a Recording, you’ll see the Recording's playback viewer. To help explain the tools/features available in the Recordings Player, we've broken it down into five main sections below:
Keep scrolling to learn more about each section, or click on a link below to skip to the specific section you're interested in!
1. Playback viewer
When you open a recording from your Recordings dashboard, the session will start to play in the Playback viewer. The viewer allows you to see what the user experiences as they interact with your site.
Actions like loading a new page, clicks, scrolling, changing a field, changes in screen size, and cursor movements will be highlighted within the Recording. You'll also see a timeline at the bottom of the view window to help you navigate through the session.
Some Recordings might look broken or missing images, but there is no need to worry. Most of the time, your user did not see this issue, but Hotjar is having a hard time locating CSS or images to display the site properly.
At the bottom of the Playback viewer is a long horizontal bar that will show the progress of the session playback, as well as some specific events that happened during the session. Below are some of the possible events that you might see in the timeline:
- Visited New Page
- Mouse Click
- Typing/Changed Field Value
- Resized Window
- Recording Tag applied
- Rage Click
- Answered Survey
- Incoming Feedback response
Unsure of which event you're looking at in your Events timeline?
Events appear as small icons. If you're unsure what an icon is referring to, you can hover your cursor over it to see the event name or click on the info button in the Playback Toolbar.
When paused on the Events Timeline, a black module appears allowing you to share a recording from the exact moment you are paused on with the arrow icon, or write a comment with the speech bubble icon.
2. Playback toolbar
The Playback toolbar gives you control over the session recording you're watching and is made up of the components listed in left-to-right order below:
- Play/Pause - this button allows you to stop or start the playback at any time.
- Rewind/Fast forward - these buttons appear on each side of the Play/Pause button. They allow you to go backward or forward 10-seconds in the playback.
- Playback speed - to speed up the watching process, you can choose from the following speed settings: 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x.
- Playback time - shows the playback time in relation to the total length of the user's session.
- Skip Inactivity - skip over the parts of the session where the user was inactive, by clicking on this button.
- Add comment - allows you to add a comment that can be seen by, and shared with your colleagues so that you can highlight meaningful moments in the session.
- Previous/Next recording - these two buttons allow you to go to the previous recording in your Recordings list, or skip to the next recording.
- Autoplay toggle - enable this switch to allow Hotjar to automatically play the next session recording when the current session recording has ended.
- Playback Settings - appears as a grey cog icon. Click this to see the following setting options:
- Skip all inactivity - Automatically skip long user pauses during playback.
- Autoplay - Automatically play the next recording after one ends.
- Jumpstart - Begin playback at the first action that matches your filters.
- Mute clicks - Mute the sound of mouse clicks during playback.
- View available keyboard shortcuts to use during the session playback.
- Show/hide sidebar - this button allows you to hide, or reveal the right side menu that includes the Session Info tab and Actions tab.
3. URL bar
The URL bar shows the address of the page that your user was visiting when their session was being recorded. If the user visited multiple pages during their session, then you'll see the URL change as they navigate through your site. You also have a few other options when hovering over the URL:
- Copy URL: The URL can be copied to clipboard by hovering over the URL and clicking on the copy icon, two overlapping squares.
- Visit URL: This allows you to quickly visit the live page in a new tab by hovering over the URL and clicking on the new tab icon, a square with an arrow.
- View Heatmap (Business/Plus plan users only): Visit a Heatmap of this page by clicking the flame icon.
On the right of the URL, you also have the following additional options you can choose from:
- Share: This button allows you to generate a line to the recording that people outside your Hotjar account can view without having access to Hotjar. Learn more about sharing Hotjar data
- Rate (thumbs up/down icon): You’ll see a modal pop-up with the question "Is this recording worth watching?" Answer Yes or No to help us understand which Recordings are most interesting. Our goal is to develop a feature to help you target the most useful recordings, so you can spend less time watching recordings that aren't helpful.
- Favorite (star icon): This allows you to quickly filter recordings by all those you have marked as a favorite. Learn more about Recording filters
- Delete (trash can icon): Click to delete the recording that you're currently viewing.
Why should I rate recordings?
Many of our customers don't have time to watch all their recorded sessions. Rating a recording tells Hotjar if a recording is helpful. Hotjar is developing a relevance score algorithm that sorts recordings based on key indicators of relevance from the recording data we collect. In short, the more recordings you rate, the more accurate your relevance score will be in the future!
4. Session Info tab
The Session Info tab gives you access to the following session information:
- Hotjar User ID - automatically assigned to users by Hotjar
- Country - the country associated with the user's session
- Date - the date that the user session was captured
- Device - the device type (phone, tablet, desktop) and screen resolution
- Browser - browser type (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
- Operating system - (Mac OS, Windows, Android, Linux, etc.)
- Referrer URL - the page that the user was on before their session started (if available)
- Actions - lists the number of actions taken by the user in the session. Clicking this link will open the Actions tab which is discussed in the next section!
- User Attributes (Business plans only) - displays the most recent User Attributes captured for the user's session at the point the Recording ended. Attributes may be associated with the same user in the future, but that will not retroactively change the attributes shown in the recording.
- Tags - View, add or remove tags that are associated with the recording. You can also use tagging to help identify A/B test variations in Recordings.
5. Actions tab
All actions that occurred during a recorded session can be found in this list. You can click on a specific action in the Actions list and Hotjar will skip to that section in your Recording Player.