- Why isn't Hotjar finding or importing my Form?
- Why isn't the Form Finder banner appearing in the pop-up window?
- I've added a Form, but no data is being collected. Why?
- I've added a Form, but fields aren't showing. Why?
- Why do other tools report more visits than my Hotjar Form reports?
- Why is my Form showing a 100% drop-off rate for submissions?
- Why are my fields not being picked up by my Forms?
- Troubleshooting Tips
Why isn't Hotjar finding or importing my form?
If you are trying to add a Form and Hotjar isn't finding it, it could be because of one of the following Limitations:
- Forms spanning over multiple pages. While Hotjar could detect the form fields on the first page of the form, the submission counts would be incorrect, so it’s not recommended to use the Forms tool for multi-page forms.
- Your Form is on session-based pages/dynamic URLs such as a checkout page.
- Forms without a <form> tag. Hotjar requires the use of a <form> tag enclosing the form fields to be able to detect the form.
- Forms added through an iframe. Hotjar is not able to detect forms that are inside an iFrame because of browser security.
- Tracking multiple Hotjar Forms using the same URL. If there are two Hotjar Forms tracked, multiple <form> tags, at the same URL, only the last created active Form will receive data. This means that having one “paused” and one “active” Form at the same URL is fine. However, tracking two “active” Forms on the same URL will cause the older Hotjar Form to stop collecting data.
- Your URL has a query string. Hotjar is unable to import a form if the URL you are targeting has a query string, or a "?" followed by characters.
One Form Per Page
Hotjar can only analyze one Form per page. If your page contains multiple forms, you will need to choose just one to analyze.
Make sure to head to our Feature Request tool and upvote which limitation is affecting you to help our product team prioritize what is built. You will be notified of any progress that is made on the features you vote on.
Why isn't the Form Finder banner appearing in the pop-up window?
After clicking the Launch Form Finder button, during the Form creation process, a pop-up window appears of the page where the form(s) are visible, and you should see a Form Finder banner at the bottom of the pop-up window.
Form Finder banner
If the banner does not appear, it's usually due to one or more of the following reasons:
- The Hotjar Tracking Code is no longer installed on the target page.
This could happen because the Tracking Code was removed from the page. Sometimes this occurs unintentionally during a page redesign.
- The form finder is being blocked by browser plug-ins or extensions
Browser extensions can also prevent the Form Finder from loading. Some common examples are AdBlock and Ghostery. We recommend disabling any browser extensions to see if that solves the issue or try using a different browser.
- The form finder is being blocked by your network or browser's security settings.
Make sure your browser allows "third-party scripts", to prevent it from blocking Hotjar. If you still have trouble, try using another browser, to confirm if the issue is browser-related. If the issue persists, check to see if your office or workspace has network-based security settings that would block third-party scripts.
I've added a Form, but no data is being collected. Why?
If you've added a Form to Hotjar and see no or missing data after a few hours of visitors interacting with your forms, it might be caused by one of the following reasons:
- The wrong form may have been selected for tracking. This can happen if the page you targeted has multiple Forms and you accidentally picked the wrong one.
I've added a Form, but fields aren't showing. Why?
- Your Form uses autofill on one or more of the input fields. No actions will be registered as an interaction.
- Your Form's CSS selectors are over 1000 characters. We typically see this with Elementor forms.
- There are Dynamic IDs in the form which will cause the Form to not collect data.
Why do other tools report more visits than my Hotjar Form reports?
If other tools, such as Google Analytics, report more visits that your Form Report shows, here's an explanation on why Hotjar may not be recording all your visitors: Does Hotjar Record ALL my visitors?
Why do I have a 100% drop-off rate for submissions?
Why are my fields not being picked up by my Forms?
If you've added a Form to Hotjar and data for one or multiple fields aren't being collected after a few hours of visitors interaction, it might be caused by one of the following reasons:
Forms do tend to get a little tricky to troubleshoot. Our support team has been collecting some tricks that we use when looking into your Forms.
Without even knowing it, sometimes the issue lies within your HTML. If you aren't finding any issues elsewhere, why not run your URL through a W3C Validator to see if there are any errors. Errors that are within the tag <form>, will usually be the key to the Form problems you are experiencing.