Common questions, tips and help with troubleshooting Forms:
Why isn't Hotjar finding my Form?
If you are trying to add a Form and Hotjar isn't finding it, it could be because of one of the following reasons :
- Your Form is on a page behind a login.
- Your Form is on a session-based page/dynamic URLs such as a checkout page.
- Your Form is in an iframe.
- Your Form elements are not inside a <form> tag.
- Your Form is over multiple pages. We currently only support single page Forms.
- Your Form is on a site that is a single page app (SPA). We currently do not support our Forms feature on SPAs.
- You are not using the exact URL where your Form is located. The URL must be an exact match in order for Hotjar to detect the Form.
- Your Form uses autofill on one or more of the input fields. No actions will be registered as an interaction.
One Form Per Page
Hotjar can only analyze one Form per page. If your page contains multiple Forms, you will need to choose just one to analyze.
I've added a Form but no data is being collected. Why?
If you've added a Form to Hotjar and see no or missing data being collected after a few hours of visitors interacting with your forms, it might be caused by one of the following reasons:
- The wrong form may have been selected for tracking. This can happen if the page you targeted has multiple Forms and you accidentally picked the wrong one.
Why do other tools report more visits than my Hotjar Form reports?
If other tools, such as Google Analytics, report more visits that your Form Report shows, here's an explanation on why Hotjar may not be recording all your visitors: Does Hotjar Record ALL my visitors?
Forms do tend to get a little tricky to troubleshoot. Our support team has collecting some tricks that we use when looking into your Forms.
Without even knowing it, sometimes the issue lies within your HTML. If you aren't finding any issues elsewhere, why not run your URL through a W3C Validator to see if there are any errors. Errors that are within the tag <form>, will usually be the key to the Form problems you are experiencing.