Team member permissions define the level of access assigned to individual team members in your Hotjar Organization. Permissions apply at an Organization-level, meaning an individual team member could have a different permission level across several Organizations within the same Hotjar Account.
All Team Members can view their team permissions level from their Team List page.
- What can each permission level do in Hotjar?
- How are permissions initially assigned?
- How can I change permissions?
|Permission level||Description||Permissions included|
|Read Only||Can view collected Hotjar data, apply session filters, and share insights.|
|Read & Write||Can create and edit surveys and feedback widgets, view collected Hotjar data, apply session filters, and share insights.||Read Only permissions, plus:|
|Admin||Can modify team member permissions, sites and site settings including session capture, IP blocking, integrations.||Read & Write permissions, plus:
|Account Owner (one per-Account)||Each Hotjar Account has one Account Owner role which automatically includes all Admin permission levels.
The Account Owner role provides additional Account-level permissions available only to that user.
|Admin permissions, plus:
You were invited to an existing Hotjar Organization
When you're invited to join Hotjar by another team member, they will select your permission-level at the time of sending the invitation. If you've been invited to an Organization as a team member and you'd like become an Account Owner of your own, separate, Hotjar Account then reach out to Support and we can update your profile. You'll then be able to manage your own Hotjar Sites.
You signed up for Hotjar without an invitation
Signing up for Hotjar without using an invitation link will create a new Hotjar Account. You'll automatically take on the Account Owner role for that Account and have the Account Owner set of permissions regarding that Account. However, you can still be invited as a team member to other Hotjar Accounts using the same email address and have a different permission levels within other Accounts.
Only the Account Owner or an Admin on the relevant Organization can change team member permissions for that Organization.
Take account of the following before changing team member permissions:
- Team member permissions apply at an Organization level - This means a team member's permissions for an Organization will apply to all the Sites that are part of that Organization. It is important to review the Sites in each Organization when setting team member permissions.
- Changing permissions does not change the Account Owner role - If you want to change the Account Owner role to a different team member, see our How to Change Account Owner article.
- The Account Owner can Delegate Billing Permissions to any additional team members in an Organization - If you want to enable other users to manage account billing, see our How to Delegate Billing Permissions article.
Visit your Team page.
Find the relevant Organization and team member, then click the access dropdown.
Select either Read Only, Read & Write, or Admin permissions.