- What if the widget I set up is not appearing on the targeted page?
- Why is my widget not translating the questions when I select another language?
- Why does the widget look distorted or have missing icons?
- How do I disable or hide the Incoming Feedback widget?
- Can I customize the color/style of the widget?
- What if I have multiple widgets set to target the same page?
- Can I customize the placement of the widget?
What if the widget I set up is not appearing on the targeted page?
If your Feedback tool is not appearing on the target page, you should confirm that the following statements are true:
- If you have more than one Site, make sure your widget was created on the correct Hotjar Site. To choose the correct site, click on the building icon in the top-left corner of your user dashboard.
- The page you are targeting has the Hotjar Tracking Code properly installed. Use the Verify installation tool and check your target URL to test this.
- The Survey/Incoming Feedback tool is set to Active in the Hotjar dashboard.
- You have not answered, or taken an action on the widget, previously. Depending on the widget and settings, Hotjar stores a cookie when you answer or close a widget so that the same widget doesn't show again. Use a Chrome Incognito browser, which does not store cookies, to test this. This rule does not apply to Incoming Feedback widgets.
- If you're using a Private or Incognito browsing mode, check to see if enhanced security settings are being enabled. These might be preventing some Hotjar tools from loading.
- You have cookies enabled and are using a supported browser.
- No other Feedback widgets are targeting the same page with a greater level of priority. If multiple widgets are targeting the same URL, only one can be displayed at a given time. Read more.
Why does the widget look distorted or have missing icons?
If your widget isn't showing correctly on the targeted page, or if fonts and layouts seem off, your site's CSS may be overriding the Hotjar widget's CSS. Review the site's CSS to prevent it from targeting the selectors used in the Hotjar widget.
A possible fix for this would be to have your developer add a :not() pseudo-class to the affected CSS selector. This would apply the styling to all buttons except for those which match the argument set in :not().
Hotjar widget elements have a class applied beginning "_hj", so for most sites you can apply a :not() which says, "don't apply this CSS to anything that has a class starting with '_hj'".
For example, if your CSS is targeting a button element, your CSS rule could be button:not([class^="_hj"]). There are other ways to resolve this, so consult with your web developer to determine the best options for your site!
How do I disable or hide the Incoming Feedback widget?
You can deactivate any Feedback feature by switching the status from Active to Inactive in the feature’s section of your Hotjar Dashboard.
Can I customize the color/style of the widget?
Hotjar does not have the ability to customize the CSS of the Feedback widgets. You are able to change the accent color and toggle between white and black font within the Appearance step of your widget setup.
You can keep up to date with all of our upcoming and most requested features in our Product Roadmap.
What if I have multiple widgets set to target the same page?
Hotjar will not show all the widgets to a visitor when the page loads
It will show the most recent widget created instead. Incoming Feedback will always be visible last.
You are able to set multiple feedback widgets to target a page, but Hotjar will only show one widget on a targeted page at a time, to avoid visitor frustration.
Incoming Feedback is always given the lowest priority, while for Surveys, the most recent one that you created will have the highest priority.
If you created the following items targeting the same page:
4 days ago: Survey 'A' targeting the homepage
3 days ago: Started Incoming Feedback
Yesterday: Survey 'B' targeting the homepage
Each widget will show one at a time starting with Survey 'B' since it's most recently created. Survey 'A' will only show if the visitor answers Survey 'B' and visits the homepage again while browsing. Once both Surveys have been answered, Incoming Feedback will show.
Can I customize the placement of the widget?
Custom placement of the widget other than what is in the drop-down menu is not available at this time. The full list of widget placement is listed in our Incoming Feedback set up guide.
Why is my widget not translating the questions when I select another language?
The language selected within the widget set up only affects the text of the widget which is not customizable. This includes the rating labels, input placeholder text, and Send or Skip buttons.
All customizable text in the widget will need to be manually written in your desired language in the next step.