Common questions, tips, and help with Feedback Widgets.
- How do I disable the Incoming Feedback widget?
- Can I customize the color/style of the widget?
- What if the widget I set up is not showing?
- What if I have multiple widgets set to target the same page?
- Can I customize the placement of the widget?
- Why does the widget not look as expected?
How do I disable the Incoming Feedback widget?
You can deactivate any Feedback feature by switching the status from Active to Inactive in the feature’s section of your Hotjar Dashboard.
Can I customize the color/style of the widget?
Hotjar does not have the ability to customize the CSS of the Feedback widgets. You are able to change the accent color and toggle between white and black font within the Appearance step of your widget setup.
You can keep up to date with all of our upcoming and most requested features in our Product Roadmap.
What if the widget I set up is not showing?
If this is the case, you should check the following:
- The page you are targeting with the widget has the Hotjar Tracking Code properly installed.
- The item Poll / Survey / Recruiter / Incoming Feedback is set to Active in the Hotjar dashboard.
- You have not answered, or taken an action on the widget, previously. Depending on the widget and settings, Hotjar stores a cookie when you answer or close a widget so that same widget doesn't show again. You can use a private or incognito window to test instead, which do not store cookies.
- You have cookies enabled and are using a supported browser: Internet Explorer 9+; Google Chrome; Mozilla Firefox; Opera; Safari 6+.
- Your site's CSS may be overriding the Hotjar widget's CSS. Review the site's CSS to prevent it from targeting the selectors used in the Hotjar widget.
- There are multiple widgets targeting the same URL. Read more.
What if I have multiple widgets set to target the same page?
Hotjar will not show all the widgets to a visitor when the homepage loads
It will show the most recent widget created instead. Incoming Feedback will always be visible last.
You are able to set multiple feedback widgets to target a page, but Hotjar will only show one Feedback Widget on a targeted page at a time, to avoid visitor frustration.
Incoming Feedback is always given the lowest priority, while for Polls, Survey invites and Recruiters, the most recent one that you created will have the highest priority.
If you created the following items targeting the same page:
Each widget will show one at a time starting with the Poll since it's most recently created. The Recruiter will only show if the visitor answers the Poll and visits the homepage again while browsing. The same thing applies to the Survey Invite. Once they have all been answered, Incoming Feedback will show.
Can I customize the placement of the widget?
Custom placement of the widget other than what is in the drop-down menu is not available at this time. The full list of widget placement is listed in our Incoming Feedback set up guide.
Why does the widget not look as expected?
If your widget isn't showing on all on the targeted page or fonts and layouts seem off, your site's CSS may be overriding the Hotjar widget's CSS. Review the site's CSS to prevent it from targeting the selectors used in the Hotjar widget.