Currently, this feature is available only in English. We are working to make this feature available in other languages in the future.
On the top right-hand side of your Surveys page, click New Survey.
From the drop-down menu, click Let AI create it.
In the Your goal field, describe what you want to accomplish with the survey in a short sentence.
You can also select a suggested goal from the Popular goals list.
Click Create survey to generate a new survey based on your goal prompt.
Review the AI-generated survey questions and make any desired changes.
In the Questions section, you can:
- Add, delete, modify, and re-order questions as needed.
- Add images (JPG, PNG, GIF, WebP files up to 2 MB) and use Hotjar Surveys for concept testing (available on Ask Business or Scale).
- See a Preview of how your survey will look and function to test out the experience before you activate your survey.
- Drag and drop questions from a Question Bank of pre-defined questions to help you get started.
- Toggle questions as required or not, with optional questions displaying a Skip button.
Survey responses may be submitted with some questions left unanswered
It's possible to receive a Survey response with some of the questions showing a blank space instead of an answer. This can happen when a user skips an optional question. It can also happen if you're using a Popover or Full Screen survey and the user answers one or more questions but then abandons the page without answering the remaining questions.
Hotjar will send the collected question responses to your Surveys dashboard and the questions that were not answered will show up with blank responses.
- Include URLs in the question, which automatically become clickable.
- Randomize possible answers (for checkbox or radio button question types).
- Pin the last answer to the bottom of a list, such as for an "Other" answer (for checkbox or radio button question types).
- Add a Thank You message to display to users when they complete the Survey.
Review the remaining survey configuration sections and make any desired changes.
For a more comprehensive guide to each section of your survey's settings, you can reference How to Create a Survey. To learn more about the survey type options and other survey features, check out What is a Hotjar Survey?
Link Survey responses cannot be connected to Recordings
When using a Popover, Button or Full screen survey, Hotjar offers the ability to connect the survey responses with recordings from the same user. This functionality is not possible for Link Survey responses.
Select your Survey status and click Create survey to finish.
Once you've completed all sections of the survey configurations, you can choose to make your survey active or inactive. By default the survey is set to "Inactive".