This integration is available on both the Observe and Ask Business and Scale plans.
Hotjar's integration with Zapier is available on both the Observe and Ask Business and Scale plans. To upgrade, follow our guide on how to upgrade your plan.
Zapier lets you connect Hotjar to 5,000+ other web services. Automated connections called Zaps, set up in minutes with no coding, can automate your day-to-day tasks and build workflows between apps that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
Each Zap has one app as the Trigger (such as Hotjar), where your information comes from and which causes one or more Actions in other apps, where your data gets sent automatically. This integration supports the following Hotjar tools to be used as triggers:
Before getting started, be aware of the following requirements:
- You need to have an account with both Hotjar and Zapier.
- The Hotjar Zapier integration is only available on the Observe and Ask Business and Scale plans. Not on those plans? Learn how to upgrade your plan in-app.
- All Team Members with Read & Write access permissions or higher can create a Zap.
- The Hotjar Tracking Code needs to be installed on your site.
- To trigger actions in Zapier, you need to have one of the Hotjar tools (Recordings, Feedback, Surveys) actively targeting users on your website.
To get started, scroll down or click one of the sections below:
- Create a Zap for a Feedback widget or a Survey
- Create a Zap from within your Zapier account
- List of available Hotjar parameters
- Suggested use cases
Create a Zap for a Feedback widget or a Survey
Go to the Feedback or Surveys dashboard.
Edit the desired Feedback widget or Survey.
Choose one of your Feedback widgets or Surveys from the list on the left. Click on the three-dotted menu on the right, next to the New widget button. Click on Edit.
Expand the Forward Feedback section in the tool settings.
Choose one of the scenarios to create a new Zap.
To learn more about creating new Zaps, read Zapier's Getting Started Guide.
Create a Zap from within your Zapier account
Log in to Zapier.
Click the Create Zap button.
For the Trigger, select Hotjar.
Select New Recording, New Feedback, or New Survey Response as the Event.
Choose which Hotjar account you'd like to use in this Zap.
You may need to connect a new account to Zapier. For help with this, see Zapier's documentation on connecting your apps to Zapier.
For the Action, select the app you want to connect with Hotjar and define the desired action as Event.
Creating a Zap requires no coding knowledge and you'll be walked step-by-step through the setup. Take a look at Zapier's Getting Started Guide to learn more about this process.
Test and publish your Zap.
List of available Hotjar parameters
To customize your Zaps, you can use Hotjar's metadata related to Recordings, Feedback, and Surveys.
Suggested use cases
Below, you'll find examples of automated workflows created using the Zapier integration. Click on the following links to get step-by-step setup instructions:
- Hotjar + Google Sheets - Create custom reports in Google Sheets. Automatically add a new row or column in a spreadsheet when there’s a new Hotjar event that matches your criteria. Use the data to plot a line graph to monitor rage clicks over time. Investigate trends and take action when you see a clear spike in behavior.
- Hotjar + Miro - Send survey responses to Miro. Share feedback with other teams to focus on areas for improvement.
- Hotjar + Jira - Create new Jira issues when a Hotjar recording is captured. Refine this Zap even further by only creating a new Jira issue when a specific User Attribute is true.
- Hotjar + Trello - Use survey responses to create Trello cards automatically. Make user interview recruitment a painless process. If a user indicates in a Hotjar survey that they're willing to chat, forward their contact information to one central Trello board.
- Hotjar + Asana - Send survey responses to Asana to create tasks, subtasks, or stories. Build a seamless workflow to create action steps based on user feedback.