Not sure if you have installed Hotjar correctly, or have questions about the Hotjar Tracking Code? We've collected the most frequently asked questions here.
How Do I Install the Tracking Code?
The Hotjar Tracking Code should be added to the <head> section of any page you want to track. For more information, head to our Installing Hotjar article.
Will Hotjar Slow Down My Site?
We take site performance very seriously and do everything in our power to optimize everything in the process. Hotjar takes all necessary steps to ensure the script is downloaded quickly and without blocking your page's load. The script itself is optimized to minimize the impact on your site's performance.
We go into further depth in Will Hotjar Slow Down My Site?.
How Do I Install Hotjar on Single Page Apps?
For compatibility information, head to Platforms and Frameworks..
How Do I Know if Hotjar is Installed Correctly?
There are two main ways you can find out if Hotjar is installed correctly.
- Verifying your installation with our verification tool. This is described in How to Verify Hotjar is Installed.
- If you are comfortable, using browser developer tools, you are also able to manually verify the Hotjar Tracking Code is installed.
Why is My Tracking Code Inactive?
As soon as someone has visited your site it will switch to Active. It will continue to switch back to inactive if we receive no traffic for 1 or more hours.
When somebody visits again, Hotjar immediately begins recording. We describe this behavoir in more detail here.
Why Am I Not Collecting Data?
- You might not have set any tools up inside Hotjar yet. We have a series of guides to help you start analyzing user behavior, and start collecting feedback from your visitors.
- You might not have had any visitors yet. Try visiting your site and waiting for up to 60 minutes.
- Heatmaps, Recordings, and Forms all require an open web socket. If you have any Content Security Policies (CSPs) in place, you should allow Hotjar to open a web socket.
- If you have access to multiple Hotjar sites, you should check you're looking at the correct site.
How Do I Track Multiple Subdomains?
You are able to track multiple subdomains using the same Tracking Code by installing the Tracking Code on every subdomain you want to track. This is explained more in detail here.