- How do I install the Tracking Code?
- Will Hotjar slow down my site?
- How do I install Hotjar on Single Page Apps?
- How do I know if Hotjar is installed correctly?
- Why is my Tracking Code inactive?
- Why am I not collecting data?
- How do I track multiple subdomains?
The Hotjar Tracking Code should be added to the <head> section of any page you want to track. To find your Tracking Code, visit your Sites page and click on Install tracking code for the relevant site. For a step-by-step guide, head to How to Install your Hotjar Tracking Code.
We take site performance very seriously and do everything in our power to optimize everything in the process. Hotjar takes all necessary steps to ensure the script is downloaded quickly and without blocking your page's load. The script itself is optimized to minimize the impact on your site's performance.
We go into further depth in Will Hotjar Slow Down My Site?.
How do I install Hotjar on Single Page Apps?
For compatibility information, head to Platforms and Frameworks not Compatible with Hotjar.
How do I know if Hotjar is installed correctly?
To check whether Hotjar is installed correctly, see our guide on How to Check That Hotjar Is Working.
Why is my Tracking Code inactive?
As soon as someone has visited your site it will switch to Active. It will continue to switch back to inactive if we receive no traffic for 1 or more hours. When somebody visits again, Hotjar immediately begins recording.
Why am I not collecting data?
- You might not have set any tools up inside Hotjar yet. We have a series of guides to help you set up Heatmaps, Recordings, and start collecting feedback from your users.
- You might not have had any users yet. Try visiting your site and waiting for up to 60 minutes.
- Heatmaps and Recordings require an open web socket. If you have any Content Security Policies (CSPs) that block WebSockets in place, you should allow Hotjar to open a web socket.
- If you have access to multiple Hotjar sites, you should check you're looking at the correct site.
You are able to track multiple subdomains using the same Tracking Code by installing the Tracking Code on every subdomain you want to track. This is explained more in How to Track Multiple Subdomains.