This article gives an overview of the Recordings playback list dashboard. For more information on the Recordings player itself or our FAQ page, see the links below:
- Recordings playback list: You're here! This is where you find, filter, and access Recordings.
- Recordings player: This is where the magic happens! See how users interact with your site.
- Recordings troubleshooting FAQ: Having any trouble with Recordings? Look here!
To enable data capture and start collecting recordings, visit our guide to configuring Site Settings.
Exploring the Recordings dashboard
The Recordings dashboard is separated into five sections:
1. Playback list
Each row in the Recordings playback represents a session recording. You can watch each session by clicking on the Play button which will open the Recordings player. Within each row you will see the following columns that contain data about each session:
- Select checkbox (to delete): Selecting one or more sessions will cause a delete button to appear. If you decide to delete one or more recordings, keep in mind that it is not possible to restore data after it has been deleted.
- Highlights: Displays reactions and comments that have been applied to the Recording through the Highlights feature. (Hover over the icons to display the reaction label or comment text)
Frustration score: Available on Observe or plans.
The frustration score is based on signals that suggest a user may be frustrated, like u-turns, rage-clicks, and negative feedback provided within the session.
Engagement score: Available on Observe or plans.
The engagement score is based on the same factors as the relevance score to identify highly engaged user sessions.
- Date: The date/time when the session was processed by Hotjar, displayed in your local timezone. This points to the end of the user's session, not the start of it.
- User: Hotjar User ID associated with the session.
- Country: Origin country of the user, based on their internet connection.
- Actions #: Number of actions taken by the user in the session.
- Pages #: Number of times a page was loaded during a session. (includes page refreshes)
- Duration: Length of the recorded session, displayed in your local timezone.
- Device: Device type (phone, tablet, desktop) and screen resolution in pixels.
- Browser: Browser type (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
- OS: Operating system (Mac OS, Windows, Android, Linux, etc.)
Referrer URL: Available on Observe or plans.
The page that the user was on before their Hotjar session started, if available.
- Landing page: Page the user was on when their Hotjar session started.
- Exit page: Page the user was on when their Hotjar session ended.
*Note: You may need to scroll horizontally in the Recordings list section, in order to see all the columns in your Recordings list.
Clicking on a column heading allows you to sort your Recordings according to the specified column. The 'up' and 'down' arrows next to the column heading informs the direction of the sort, either ascending or descending order.
Some data types provide more information in a tool-tip from within the playback list. To activate a tool-tip, hover over the data entry.
Clicking on the checkbox for a Recording allows you to select a Recording you want to delete, while clicking on the column header checkbox allows you to select all Recordings on this page. Learn more about deleting Recordings.
2. Recordings list tools
You have two tools available in the Recordings list tools panel.
The first is the Select columns menu, which enables you to show or hide different columns in the playback list. These column headers correspond with the session attributes you'll find when watching a recording from inside the Recording player.
The second option is the Export list button that allows you to download the data from your Recording list into a spreadsheet. This will generate an export file that will be sent to you via email. See our guide on Exporting a spreadsheet of Recording data to learn more about what is included in this export.
3. Traffic coverage widget
The traffic coverage widget shows a percentage estimate of user sessions that Hotjar is able to track on your site each day. It will also show your Session targeting settings with any conditions you've set in your session capture settings.
Filters enable you to refine your Recordings playback list to match your chosen conditions. For example, you might only be interested in people who visited your sign-up page but failed to sign-up, in the past 7 days. To see these visits you can click + Add Filter, and select the relevant filters. For more detail on the available session filters, see our article on How Do I Filter Session Data?
Refining your recordings by playback status
Underneath the session filters, you'll find a dropdown for refining your playback list to Not played or Already played. This allows you to only show recordings based on whether they've already been played or not yet been watched. The default setting will show All recordings in your playback list.
Segments let you save a group of applied filters as a segment in the segments sidebar, so that you can quickly revisit the applied filters again in the future. After adding some filters to your playback list, the Save segment button will appear, enabling you to save that group of filters. For more help with Segments, see our article on What Are Recording Segments?