Hotjar Learning courses are live 🎓
Hotjar now has a beta training platform with courses on how to get the best out of Hotjar. Try out our How to install the Tracking Code course today!
This article will show you how to install the Hotjar tracking code on a website built and hosted with BigCommerce.
BigCommerce may change parts of this process from time to time
While we try to keep track of any major changes to popular platforms people use Hotjar on, companies may change parts of their software over time that we are unaware of. For the most up-to-date information about managing scripts in BigCommerce, check their documentation.
Copy your Hotjar Tracking Code from your Hotjar dashboard.
If a Site in your Hotjar account hasn't been created for your BigCommerce site, you might need to add a new Site.
On your BigCommerce dashboard, click Storefront.
Click on Script Manager.
Click Create a Script.
Insert the Tracking Code into your site's head element for pages you want to track.
- Name of script can be anything, however, Hotjar or Hotjar Tracking Code might help you find it in the future.
- Description can be anything or left blank.
- For Location on page, select Head.
- For Select pages where script will be added, this is up to you, but for the most effective use of Hotjar, All pages is best.
- Select a Script Type of Script.
- Inside Script Contents paste the Tracking Code exactly as it appears in your Hotjar dashboard.
Once you have added the Hotjar Tracking Code to your site, you will need to wait a few minutes for Hotjar to check if it is installed correctly. This usually happens the moment your site is loaded with the Hotjar code on it, but you can visit the page yourself to speed up the process up.
Verify installation within the Hotjar Dashboard.
If you're not sure how to verify installation, follow our How to Verify Hotjar is Installed guide.
Once Your Tracking Code is Installed
You can start using any of Hotjar's features: Heatmaps, Recordings, Surveys, and Incoming Feedback. Have a look at the guides below to get started.
- Creating Your First Heatmap with Snapshots
- How to Start Continuous Heatmaps
- How to Start Recordings on Basic Plans
- How to Start Continuous Recordings
- Creating Your First Survey
- Starting to use Incoming Feedback