This article will show you how to install the Hotjar tracking code on a website built and hosted with BigCommerce.
BigCommerce may change parts of this process from time to time
While we try to keep track of any major changes to popular platforms people use Hotjar on, companies may change parts of their software over time. For the most up-to-date information about managing scripts in BigCommerce, check their documentation.
Copy your Hotjar Tracking Code.
Make sure to add a new Hotjar Site for your BigCommerce shop.
On your BigCommerce dashboard, click Storefront.
Click Script Manager.
Click Create a Script.
Insert the Tracking Code into your site's head element for pages you want to track.
- Name of script can be anything, however, Hotjar or Hotjar Tracking Code might help you find it in the future.
- Description can be anything or left blank.
- For Location on page, select Head.
- For Select pages where script will be added, this is up to you, but for the most effective use of Hotjar, All pages is best.
- Select a Script Type of Script.
- Inside Script Contents paste the Tracking Code exactly as it appears inside Hotjar.
Wait a few minutes for Hotjar to check if the tracking code is installed correctly. This usually happens the moment your site is loaded with the Hotjar code on it, but you can visit the page yourself to speed up the process.
Verify installation within Hotjar.
If you're not sure how to verify installation, follow our How to Check That Hotjar Is Working guide.