Tools such as Google Analytics may report more visits than your Heatmap report. This can be for various reasons but is a behavior we typically see.
Here are all the known reasons why Hotjar may not track someone. They may:
- Not use one of our supported browsers.
- Have cookies disabled. See what cookies are stored by Hotjar.
- Have disabled Hotjar from our Do Not Track page.
- Have Do Not Track enabled in their browser.
- Have accessed your site via a private/incognito browsing mode. These often block cookies and/or tracking scripts.
- Have disabled use of localStorage and/or sessionStorage
- Use browser plugins such as privacy extensions or ad-blockers which explicitly excludes them from loading tracking scripts such as ours. Various studies suggest that as many as 30% of internet users have ad-block or similar software installed.
- Live in a country where the government blocks network traffic to/from Hotjar's servers.
For more information on why Hotjar may not track all your visitors, head to Does Hotjar track all your users?.