Hotjar servers need access to the assets on your site to generate Heatmaps successfully. When the CSS looks broken, this typically means our servers have difficulty fetching some of the CSS files from your server.
There are a number of things which could cause this. Here are the known reasons why sites may block Hotjar from accessing CSS:
- Blocking access based on geolocation (specifically Ireland), or your site only allows certain IPs to access assets
- Blocking based on domain/referrer
- Blocking based on User-Agent
- Blocking based on lack of cookie/sessionStorage
Solution: To fix this for all future Heatmaps, most issues with User-Agent, referrer, and IP blocking can be addressed by:
- Allowing the IP addresses listed in Hotjar IPs.
- Allowing the domain/referrer http://local.hotjar.com
- Allowing the User Agents from How do Hotjar Heatmaps Work?