Your Site settings page allows team members with Admin level permissions or higher to manage your site's information and capture settings. It is separated into 5 sections.
- Session capture: allows you to quickly turn Recordings and Heatmaps data capture on or off.
- Site information: basic information about your site.
- Session targeting and tracking: change capture behavior for Recordings and Heatmaps.
- Data suppression: control what data should not be sent and stored to protect visitor privacy.
- IP blocking: manage IP addresses Hotjar should not capture traffic for.
Finding Site settings
Site settings are accessed from your Site list.
Click on Settings, then Sites & Organizations
Select the Site whose settings you want to edit.
Click on the cog icon next to the Site settings you need to edit.
The Session capture toggle allows you to toggle data capture on or off. This will immediately halt all data collection. Feedback tools will continue gathering user responses as normal.
Updating Site Information
The Site Information section allows you to change basic information about your site.
- Site URL: this changes the site's URL inside Hotjar. The URL you set does not have any bearing on what pages Hotjar will track. By default, Hotjar will track all pages the Hotjar tracking code is installed on.
- Industry / Sector: the option you choose here may affect what resources Hotjar may send you to help you get more out of Hotjar.
- Legal Name: Hotjar's feedback tools sometimes display your site's legal name, taken from this field.
Changing session targeting & tracking settings
You have different options for configuring how Hotjar captures user sessions. These settings apply to Recordings, including both sites using Snapshots (Basic and Plus plan sites) and Continuous Capture (Business plan sites).
- Capture sessions shorter than 30 seconds: toggling this on allows Hotjar to capture Recordings shorter than 30 seconds.
- Tracking URL changes: this allows you to set how Hotjar tracks page URLs, and is primarily used with single-page applications. Learn more about URL tracking settings.
- Allowed iframe domains: Hotjar cannot track iframe content, though you can configure whether self-hosted iframes appear inside the Recording player. Heatmaps will render the initial Learn more about iframes in Recordings, or iframes in Heatmaps.
Data suppression prevents Hotjar from gathering personally-identifying information (PII) from your visitors. Since every site potentially has different types of PII content, Hotjar offers a range of settings. Learn more about data suppression in Hotjar.
It's sometimes useful to block your Team Members from being tracked in Hotjar. If they are on a static IP address or an IP address from a set range, then Hotjar can be configured to avoid capturing their data.
Click on Block a New IP to add a new IP address to the list. The first column in each row should be a description for the IP address, with the second an IP address or regular expression for ranges of IP addresses.
If a user is on a dynamic IP address, IP blocking may not help. How to Stop Hotjar From Collecting your Data goes into more detail about how your team members can prevent Hotjar from tracking them.