This feature is only available on the Plus, Business and Scale plans.
To see which plan is right for your site, check out a side-by-side comparison in our Hotjar Plans article.
Hotjar allows you to trigger Heatmaps, Recordings, and Feedback tools by Event, instead of page targeting rules. This is useful if you want to trigger one of these tools on an event such as a button click.
Events are not available in early releases of Continuous Heatmaps
If you are on a Hotjar Business or Plus plan, your Heatmaps may be based on continuous capture by default and the functionality to trigger Heatmaps by events is not yet available. As we transition to Continuous Heatmaps, you will still have access to manual snapshot-based Heatmaps where events can be used for targeting. Learn more about Continuous Heatmaps.
Below are some useful examples of event-based targeting for Heatmaps:
- A/B testing, when the URL is the same for both variations
- Capturing Heatmaps of modals
- Capturing specific states of your single-page web application
Check out our step by step Events Heatmap guide and learn more about Using Events for Heatmap Targeting.
One example where triggering Recordings using events is:
- When you only want to Record users after they have logged in
Check out our step by step Events Recording guide and learn more about Using Events for Recordings Targeting.
Below are examples of triggering Feedback tools using events:
- For requesting additional feedback after upvoting or downvoting an article
- Collecting feedback from users who interact with a fake door test
Check out our step by step Event Feedback tool guide and learn more about Using Events for Feedback Tools Targeting