- The Heatmap does not appear correctly, can I retake the screenshot?
- Why can’t I see Heatmap reports for some of my pages?
- Why is my Heatmap missing images?
- What happens to snapshots?
- Will I be able to see Heatmaps for all pages across my site?
- How do I know what the right plan for my site is?
- What is the retention period for Continuous Heatmaps data?
- Why am I not able to download or share a Continuous Heatmap?
- What happens to my Heatmap data if I delete Recordings?
- Why does the Heatmap screenshot only include the top part of my site?
- Why does the Heatmap screenshot of my desktop site have mobile elements in it?
- What if my Heatmap isn't tracking any users?
- What if my Heatmap is tracking users, but not all of them?
- Why aren't clicks being recorded?
- Is my Scroll Heatmap accurate if my page varies in length?
- Why does my Heatmap data seem to be skewed by a large percentage of click/scroll data in an unexpected area?
Continuous Heatmaps may not show a complete screenshot on pages with slow-loading content
Continuous Heatmaps is an evolving feature. The current screenshot technique being used may have difficulty capturing a complete screenshot from pages that have dynamic or slow-loading content, or content that is revealed as the user scrolls down the page.
As we work to address this issue, you can try retaking the screenshot or reverting to Manual Heatmaps for pages that are impacted.
If the Heatmap screenshot does not appear as expected, you can try retaking the screenshot. To do so, hover over the 'Screenshot from' message as shown below and click 'Get Latest Screenshot'.
This will capture a new screenshot from the most recent Recording that includes the targeted page.
If your screenshot isn't capturing properly with our Continuous Heatmap tool, it is best to try capturing the data with our snapshot-based Heatmap method.
You can follow our step-by-step guide to setting up a Heatmap with snapshots in Creating your First Heatmap.
We are working to build better functionality that will allow you to troubleshoot issues like this within our Continuous Heatmap tool. You can follow along with what we are working on in our Product Roadmap.
Why can’t I see Heatmap reports for some of my pages?
Continuous Heatmaps are based on sessions, which means you need to have captured Recordings on pages that you want to view a Continuous Heatmap.
Here are some things you can check if you do not see a Heatmap:
- If using Single page with "Exact Match", make sure you enter the URL exactly as it appears in the browser, which may include a trailing backslash, or protocol (HTTPS or HTTP).
- If you’re not seeing any results on desktop, check the tablet and mobile tab.
- If no data is being returned for your Heatmap, check to see if you have any Recordings for the URL you want to view. If you have no Recordings, this means that there is no Heatmap data for this URL.
Why is my Heatmap missing images?
Continuous Heatmaps capture a screenshot from a Recording. If your page contains images that are revealed dynamically or as a user scrolls down the page, Hotjar may not be able to capture this content.
Our team is exploring ways to better capture dynamic and slow-loading content. If you'd like to learn more about the direction we're headed with Continuous Heatmaps, check out our Product Roadmap.
What happens to snapshots?
Heatmaps that were previously created in the form of snapshots will still be available. You can access these by clicking ‘Switch to Manual Heatmaps’ at the top right of the main Heatmaps page within Insights.
Will I be able to see Heatmaps for all pages across my site?
You will be able to view Heatmaps for all pages that have the Hotjar Tracking Code installed. If you do not see a Heatmap report for a certain URL, please refer to the checks that we mention in the first FAQ on this page: 'Why can’t I see Heatmap reports for some of my pages?'.
It is also possible that Hotjar is not tracking all pages across your site due to the session targeting and tracking settings that are applied. You can check your Site settings to verify that Hotjar is tracking all pages.
How do I know what the right plan for my site is?
How much data you capture is based on how many sessions are available in your plan. If your plan covers all your site traffic, then all sessions will be captured. If you exceed your daily session rate, Hotjar will sample your traffic.
To learn more about your daily session capture rate and continuous sampling, you can check out our article on What is a session?.
What is the retention period for Continuous Heatmaps data?
Continuos Heatmaps will have a retention period of one year, the same as existing snapshot-based Heatmaps. We are working to introduce functionality that will allow you to download and export Continuous Heatmaps, as well as select specific date ranges. For more details on what to expect, you can check out our Product Roadmap.
Why am I not able to download or share a Continuous Heatmap?
Continuous Heatmaps do not currently offer the option to download or export (.JPG or .CSV). Our team is working on introducing this functionality. For more details on what features we plan to include with Continuous Heatmaps, check out our Product Roadmap.
What happens to my Heatmap data if I delete Recordings?
If you delete a Recording, then any associated Heatmap data will be deleted.
Continuous Heatmaps are based on sessions (Recordings). During a single session, a user may have visited multiple pages across the site. For example, you may see a Recording where the user visitied one page, five pages or ten pages during the same session.
If a user visited five pages during a session and the Recording for those visits is deleted, then the Heatmap data assocaited with those page visits will also be deleted.