Highlights allows you to capture snippets of your Recordings and Heatmaps and group them into Collections that you can share and analyze with your team. Grouping these insights together in one place helps your team to identify patterns, validate assumptions, and prioritize brilliantly.
In this article, we’ll look at:
- An overview of Highlights and its use-cases
- How to create a Highlight from a Continuous Heatmap
- How to create a Highlight from a Recording
- How to create a Collection
- How to share Highlights
- Highlights replaces favoriting, manual tagging, and filtering by comment in Recordings
Highlights is currently only available on paid plans
Highlights is only available on paid plans during the initial release. That means that any sites on a paid plan will be able to create Highlights for Continuous Heatmaps and Recordings.
We plan on releasing Highlights to Basic plans in mid-November, 2021.
- Extract relevant insights by creating a Highlight of any part of a Heatmap or moment in a Recording.
- Use Labels to categorize your Highlights:
- 🐞 Bug
- ⚠️ UI/UX Issue
- 😕 Confusion
- 😡 Frustration
- 🎉 Success
- 🏆 Conversion
- Add Comments to Highlights about the user behavior you’re seeing and @mention a team member to loop them in on your findings.
- Download a PNG of your Heatmap Highlight.
- Share a video Highlight from a Recording that shows a meaningful insight.
- Group Highlights into Collections so you have one central place for your most useful insights—and somewhere your team can easily find them!
- Name your Collection by whatever categorization fits your needs; such as User Onboarding or Checkout redesign.
- Sort and filter Collections by Date, Author, Source, or Label so you can quickly find the insights you need.
Check out this video that walks you through how to create a Heatmap Highlight, or follow the steps outlined below.
When viewing a Continuous Heatmap, click on Highlight
Select the area of the Heatmap you want to Highlight
Add a Label and Comment, and click Save highlight
Adding a Label allows you to easily group your Highlights. You can also add relevant Comments and @ team members that might find this Highlight to be a useful insight.
The Highlight is now created and opens in full view
When the Highlight is saved, it opens up in full view. From here you can:
- Share the Highlight with another team member on your Account
- Download a PNG image of the Highlight
- Add the Highlight to a Collection
- Add additional relevant Labels
- Add additional Comments as necessary
Find the saved Highlight on the Highlights tab
You can navigate to the Highlights tab to find the Highlight that you just created.
Creating a Highlight is not available in Manual Heatmaps
It is not currently possible to create a Highlight for Manual Heatmaps.
Check out this video that walks you through how to create a Recording Highlight, or follow the steps outlined below.
Pause the Recording on the part you’re interested in and the Highlights menu will appear
Click on the scissors icon or a label and adjust the snippet length if needed before clicking Save
By default, we’ll take a 30 second snippet of that part of the Recording as the Highlight, which can be adjusted before you click Save.
Add any further Comments and Labels, then choose the Collection where the Highlight will be stored
If you already have Collections created, add the Highlight to an existing one. If not, you can create a new Collection.
You can add additional Comments here, mention team mates and add Labels to categorize the Highlight.
Your Highlight will be saved and you can find it in the ‘Highlights’ tab
If you have created a Highlight from a Heatmap or Recording as outlined above, these will be available in the Highlights section. From here, you can create new Collections, or assign Highlights to existing Collections that you or your team have created.
Navigate to the Highlights page
Under Collections select Create new collection
Add a name and click Create collection
Highlights can easily be shared with colleagues or they can be included in presentations to build use-cases for feature changes, product updates or design changes.
How to share a Highlight with your team
Click the share icon at the top of a Heatmap or Recording Highlight
Share the Highlight
Copy the link and share it with your team via an internal messenger or email.
How to download a PNG of a Highlight
In a Heatmap Highlight click the download icon
Share the Highlight
Your PNG will automatically download and it can be shared or used in a presentation.
- Favoriting: Instead of favoriting Recordings that are important to you, now you can save snippets of Recordings as Highlights. All Highlights are saved in one central place, making them easier to find by you and the team.
- Manually adding tags: Instead of manually adding tags to your Recordings, now you can add a Label to the Recording Highlight. You can still automatically apply tags using the Events API.
- Filtering by comment: Instead of filtering by comments in Recordings, now you can filter by Recordings Highlights.
If you’d like to save the Recordings you’ve favorited or manually tagged, you’ll have to export your list of Recordings before November 8.
Here's a video that walks through how you can use Highlights in place of favorites and manual tags:
How many Highlights can be collected?
You can collect an unlimited number of Highlights.
Will Highlights in any way impact my plan limits, such as session limits?
Highlights will not in any way impact your plan limit or session limits.
Can Highlights be shared?
For Heatmap Highlights, they can be shared with team members that have access to your Hotjar Organization. Recording Highlights can be shared both internally and externally.
Coming soon: Survey and Incoming Feedback Highlights
It’s just Recordings and Heatmaps Highlights for now, but soon we’ll add the ability to create Highlights from Incoming Feedback and Survey responses so you can add the invaluable context of your users’ own words.