During the week of November 15, 2021, we're making a few changes to our Basic plan. Don't worry, it will remain free to all users. We've always been committed to providing a free version of Hotjar for individuals working on their own online project, or just starting their business, and this is not changing!
Why are we making changes to Hotjar Basic?
After many conversations with our users and analyzing usage data from our tools, we gained a better understanding of what our users need from Hotjar at each stage of their online growth. Our Basic plan is designed for individuals who are just getting their online presence up and running, and we identified some missing features that are needed at that early stage. At the same time, we realized that we're offering some more advanced features that aren’t normally needed or used by Basic users.
The goal of these changes is to make it easier for all of our users to find the right plan, so they have access to the tools they need for every stage of their organization's growth. From Hotjar's perspective, these changes will also ensure that our price points are better aligned with the value we’re providing to our customers at each stage of growth. The changes will also enable us to add lots more value in the future, through product improvements and new features!
What is being added?
Continuous Capture, which is currently only available on our paid plans, will be made available on the Basic plan. This means Hotjar will automatically and continuously capture data up to a maximum of 35 sessions/day. Your Recordings and Continuous Heatmaps will be ready and waiting for you when you log in. No more manually starting and restarting Snapshots. No more gaps in your data collection.
Continuous Capture will be automatically enabled on sites that currently have an active snapshot in Heatmaps or Recordings. If your site is not currently collecting data with these Hotjar tools, your Admin can enable Continuous Capture in your site settings to begin collecting new data. Learn more here.
- You’ll get access to Continuous Heatmaps, which automatically generates Heatmaps for all pages across your site, without the need to create Snapshots, and without the 3 Heatmaps limit that you have with Manual Heatmaps. Continuous Heatmaps is still in Beta and being refined, so you’ll be able to switch back and forth to the existing Manual Heatmaps tool if you need to. Keep in mind that the 3-Heatmap limit for Basic plans will still apply to Manual Heatmaps. Learn more about Continuous Heatmaps.
- In Recordings, we’re removing the 300 Recordings limit. Continuous Recordings will generate up to 35 Recordings per day, every day, without having to delete old Recordings to make way for new ones. These recordings will be collected at an even rate throughout the day, so you won’t have gaps in your coverage! Snapshot-based Recordings will no longer exist going forward. As before, we’ll retain your data for 12 months. Learn more about Continuous Recordings.
Highlights will be added to Basic, too! Highlights allows you to cut out snippets of your Recordings and Heatmaps and save them into Collections that you can share and analyze. With all of your meaningful insights organized in one place, you can easily discover opportunities, validate assumptions, and make the right changes. Learn more about Highlights
What is being removed?
- Favoriting and manual tagging in Recordings will be replaced by Highlights. You will now have the option to save snippets of Recordings as Highlights (instead of favoriting), and add a Label to the Recording Highlight (instead of a manual tag).
Export existing Recordings before November 15th to keep a record of favorites and manual tags
If you’d like to keep a record of the Recordings you’ve favorited (star icon) or manually tagged previously, you’ll have to export your Recordings list before November 15th. After favorites and tags are removed, you won't be able to see those items in your past Recordings.
- Recordings segments and filters except for “Date” will no longer be available on Basic. Segments and filters for things like ‘Visited URL’ or ‘Country’ will become available on our Plus plan, which is designed for larger sites where more traffic is captured and the need to filter really kicks in. However, you will still be able to sort your Recordings using the existing columns in your Recordings list page. Learn more about Recordings Filters.
- Color customization options in Surveys and Incoming Feedback will no longer be available on Basic. This is something that’s generally only used on larger, business sites where branding becomes important. If you have existing widgets where the color is customized, they won’t be changed. However, this change will affect new widgets and if you want to change the background color of an existing widget, you will only have the option to change it back to the default color. Learn more about Incoming Feedback and Surveys.
We know that this is a lot of change all at once, but we encourage you to give the new features a try and we hope you get lots of value from them! If you’re concerned that a feature you really need is no longer available Basic, please check out our updated plans here. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support team.