Once you have received responses from your Feedback widget, Hotjar provides a few different ways to view and filter the data you've collected. In this article, we'll cover your options in the following sections:
- Responses - Displays a list of individual responses that have been received with the associated metadata related to each response (such as Date, URL, Browser, OS, Device, etc.)
- Results - Displays your average feedback score (1-5) based on combined ratings over the configured time period. Includes a graph to show changes in average rating over time.
- Filters - Allow you to sort and view your feedback data based on specific characteristics.
By default, you'll see the Responses tab open first. This tab has all the feedback responses listed in chronological order. You can display the responses in a Card or Table view, download them as an editable file, or forward them via email or Slack using the icons shown below:
When using the Table View, you'll see the following columns. This information will be visible in the card view as well, within each card:
- Index number (#): Ascending numeric value assigned to each response that is received
- Comments: Shows a count of comments added to the feedback response. Visible to all team members in your Hotjar Organization
- Country: Country from where the feedback widget was submitted, based on the respondent's internet connection
- User: Hotjar User ID associated with the response
- Page: URL of the page where the feedback widget was submitted
- Device: Type of device used to submit a feedback response (Desktop, Tablet, or Mobile)
- Browser: Type of browser used to submit a feedback response (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc.)
- OS: Operating system used to submit a feedback response (Mac OS, Windows, Linux, etc)
- Date: Date that the feedback response was submitted (displayed in your local timezone)
- Actions: Contains the following buttons within this column:
- Rate (thumbs up / down): This allows you to let Hotjar know if a response was useful or not. We're using this data to provide smarter analysis features in the future!
- View feedback: Opens the complete response in an overlay window
- Delete: Allows you to delete the response, this action cannot be undone
For a more graphic representation of your data, you can click on the Results tab:
This will enable you to see all responses represented in a graph. For each day, you'll see an average rating and a combined average rating of all your Feedback responses over time. Filters are available to sort the data used in the graph as well.
The Feedback tool includes the following filters, when viewing your data:
The Rating filter is only available on the Responses tab
The Rating filter does not appear on the Results tab, because this page is meant to calculate average ratings over time, rather than focusing on specific ratings.
- Date: View responses based on the date they were submitted. By default, this filter is set to the last 30 days
- User feedback: View responses that include an additional feedback message along with their rating
- Rating: View responses based on the rating given (Love, Like, Neutral, Dislike, Hate). This filter allows for multiple selections, such as "only Hate responses" or "all ratings except for Neutral"
- Page URL: View responses based on the page the user was on when the feedback response was submitted. (e.g. URL contains "checkout", URL ends with "thank-you", URL is https://www.hotjar.com, etc.)
- User email: View responses based on whether or not the user provided their email address in their response
- Keyword: View responses based on complete word or number values. It's important to remember that partial word searches will not return results
* Example of Feedback filters on the Responses tab