Workspaces are like folders, enabling you to focus on what's relevant to you and your team, without distraction. When you're working within a workspace, you'll navigate Hotjar the same way, but the data you see will be specific to each unique workspace.
In this article, we’ll look at:
- An overview of Workspaces
- How to create a new workspace
- How to edit, share, or archive a workspace
An overview of Workspaces
By default, all Hotjar Sites will contain one workspace named, "Workspace #1". The name can be edited at any time and all workspaces will be visible to all your Team Members within Hotjar. Only Business and Scale plans have the ability to create additional workspaces.
Workspaces allow you to:
- Organize your data based on project, team, or aspect of the user-journey. For example, you might have a workspace devoted to data related to a sign-up flow or checkout on your site.
- Improve collaboration by viewing the workspaces of other teams within your organization.
- Focus on the tools and insights that are relevant to you.
Aside from listing all the active workspaces in your Hotjar Site, the Workspaces page also contains two sections on the right side of the screen with general information about your Hotjar Site:
- Tracking status: Shows you an active count of all the sessions that are currently being tracked by Hotjar on your site, as well as a summary of your session capture settings.
- Recent team activity: Shows a list of actions taken by team members on your Site, as well as the name of the user that initiated the action.
How to create a new workspace
Navigate to the Workspaces page.
If you're not there already, click on the arrow in the upper left of your Hotjar Site to access the Workspaces page.
Click on the Create a new workspace tile.
Enter a Workspace name.
You can also give your workspace a description and select an accent color. These details help you and your team identify each workspace and its area of focus.
Click Create workspace.
You should now see a new tile for your workspace! To access it, click on the workspace tile you just created and you'll be directed to your Overview page. From there, you can continue using Hotjar as normal, but now, you'll only see the data/tools/insights that are related to this workspace.
How to edit, share, or archive a workspace
Navigate to the Workspaces page.
Click on the vertical ellipsis next to the desired workspace tile.
Select the desired Edit, Copy Link, or Archive action.
You'll see a dropdown menu with the following options:
- Edit: Allows you to modify the workspace name, description, and accent color.
- Copy Link: Provides a direct link to the Overview page, associated with the workspace you've selected.
- Archive: Removes the workspace from the Active view. This hides unused workspaces, so they don't clutter up your view.
It is possible to recover workspaces that have been archived
Can I delete a Workspace?
At this time, Workspaces can be archived but not deleted. To archive a Workspace, you must have Read & Write permissions.
How many workspaces can I have?
The number of workspaces you can create depends on the highest subscribed Hotjar Plan from either Ask or Observe. For example, if you have Ask Plus and Observe Business, you'll have 3 workspaces (associated with your highest subscribed plan, Business).
- Basic: 1
- Plus: 1
- Business: 3
- Scale: Unlimited
Archived workspaces are not counted toward these limits
The plan limits listed above only apply to Active workspaces. Workspaces that have been archived will not count towards these plan limits.
Why can't I find some of my data, after creating a new workspace?
Workspaces are designed to help you focus, so when a new workspace is created, it will not show some tools and data that you might have seen in a different workspace. Don't worry, no data is deleted when a new workspace is created! The following items will not be visible when you first set up a new workspace: surveys, feedback widgets, recording segments, and pinned heatmaps.
Instead, you'll have a 'clean slate', where you can create new surveys, feedback tools, segments, and add new heatmap pins to your workspace. Remember you will still have access to all workspaces within your Hotjar Organization.
Can I merge two or more workspaces together?
It's not possible to combine multiple workspaces into one. However, all users within your Hotjar Organization will be able to see all workspaces within a site.
Are Site Settings and session targeting specific to each workspace, or shared across all workspaces?
Site Settings and session capture targeting will apply to all workspaces within the site. It is not possible for one workspace to have different Site Settings than another workspace within the same Hotjar Site.