Hotjar's Polls allows you to ask your site visitors an unlimited number of questions, from an unlimited number of respondents. You can also ask your visitors questions on specific pages and based on a behavior, such as after a short delay or when they are about to leave the page.
Once you're ready to create a Poll, head over to our article on Creating Your First Poll for a detailed guide on how to use each of these features.
A Closer Look at the Poll Widget
Here's what a Poll might look like on different devices:
Once you set up a Poll on your site, your visitors are shown the question in a widget which 'peeps' from the bottom of the page. Your visitors have two options at this point:
- Answer your question and hit Next: Hotjar Polls allow you to ask multiple questions within the same Poll in sequential order, the order you sort them in. Your visitors can answer up until any question they like, or bother to. The data is sent to the Hotjar servers every time a question is answered to maximize the amount of replies you receive - the visitor does not need to answer all the questions for the Poll to send the responses.
Minimize the Poll: Not all your visitors might be interested in answering the question you ask them or they might want to answer your question once they have looked at the page. For this reason, they can minimize your Poll so it won't distract them. They can expand it later if they wish to and answer your question.
When a Poll is minimized by a user, it will stay minimized
Hotjar sets a cookie on their browser to remember this setting. This is done so that the Poll will load as minimized immediately if they navigate to another page where the same Poll is set to show. Learn more about the cookies we store.
Customizing your Poll
You also have a number of options available to you in customizing the appearance of your Poll, including the user interface language, position on your page, the background color, or choose from a light or dark theme. Additionally, Business plan accounts are able to disable the Hotjar branding.
Types of questions you can ask your visitors
Hotjar's Polls supports the following question types:
- Long text answers - Displays a multi-line text box for the user to type in.
- Short text answers - Displays a single-line text field for the user to type in.
- Email (with validation) - Only accepts __@__.__ format. The validation checks the email address format but doesn't check to determine if the email address given is connected to an active inbox.
- Yes/No - 'Yes' and 'No' appear as radio buttons for the user to choose from.
- Radio buttons - allows free-form comments and randomization of answers options.
- Checkboxes - allows free-form comments and randomization of answers options.
- 1-5 and/or 1-7 Rating Scale - A custom question appears over a rating scale, allowing users to select a number 1-5 or 1-7.
- Net Promoter Score®
- Statement - Displays custom text without providing a response field. Statements contain a title field and an optional description field.
The responses collected can be viewed in either a typical table format or in a Result view which summarizes the results for you for quick insights.