Hotjar's Polls allows you to ask your site visitors an unlimited number of questions. You can also ask your visitors questions on specific pages and based on a behavior, such as after a short delay or when they are about to leave the page.
This can give you enormous insights as to why your visitors are on your site and why they might be leaving or converting.
A Closer Look at the Poll Widget
Once you set up a Poll on your site, your visitors are shown the question in a widget which 'peeps' from the bottom of the page. Your visitors have two options at this point:
1. Minimize the Poll
Not all your visitors might be interested in answering the question you ask them or they might want to answer your question once they have looked at the page. For this reason, they can minimize your Poll so it won't distract them. They can expand it later if they wish to and answer your question.
A cookie remembers this setting
When a visitor minimizes a Poll, Hotjar sets a cookie on their browser to remember this setting. This is done so that the Poll will load as minimized immediately if they navigate to another page where the same Poll is set to show. Learn more about the cookies we store.
2. Answer your question and hit Send
Hotjar Polls allow you to ask multiple questions within the same Poll in sequential order (the order you sort them in). Your visitors can answer up until any question they like (or bother to). The data is sent to the Hotjar servers every time a question is answered to maximize the amount of replies you receive - the visitor does not need to answer all the questions for the Poll to send the responses.
Types of questions you can ask your visitors
Hotjar's Polls supports 5 types of questions:
- Long text answers
- Short text answers
- Radio buttons with free-form comments and randomization of answers options
- Checkboxes with free-form comments and randomization of answers options
- Net Promoter Score
The responses collected can be viewed in either a typical table format or in a Result view which summarizes the results for you for quick insights.
Long and short text answers: Wordclouds
Radio buttons and Checkboxes: Summary + Charts
Net Promoter Score: NPS score
The list below is a complete list of all the customizations and options available in every Poll:
- Unlimited number of questions you can ask in a single Poll
- 5 different question types, including freeform comments and randomization of answers for close-ended questions
- Ability to have logical questions, taking respondents through various question paths based on their specific answers.
- Unlimited number of pages you can target with a single Poll
- Thank You message customization
- Unlimited color options, using a color picker
- 3 Device targeting options - Desktops, Tablets, and Phones
- 4 Behavior Triggers - Learn more
- 3 Persistence Behavior options - Learn More
- Targeting Cap - Allows you to show a Poll to a % of targeted visitors
- Over 35 languages, including right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew
- Left or Right positioning for Desktops and Tablets. The position is always in the center of Phones.
- Ability to hide Hotjar Branding on BUSINESS plan only - more information about pricing here