- Recordings - no sessions are recorded.
- Heatmaps - visitors on the list will not have their activity included on the Heatmap.
- Forms - visitors will not be counted in Form report statistics.
Only IPv4 addresses can be entered at this time
We are unable to support IPv6 or dynamic IP addresses.
- How to add an IP address to be blocked
- How to verify an IP address is being blocked
- Can IPs be blocked by a user's country?
How to add an IP address to be blocked
Click on Settings, then Sites & Organizations
Select the Site you want to block IP addresses for.
Click on the cog icon next to the Site settings you need to edit.
Click on the IP blocking section accordion.
Add the IP addresses you want to block.
Click on Block Your Current IP to block the IP address of your current device. Bear in mind that if you are on a dynamic IP address, this will change.
Click on Block a New IP to add any other IP address. You can add multiple IP addresses to this list by clicking Block a New IP multiple times.
IPs can be added in the following format:
- Simple: A single IP (IPv4) address, such as 192.168.0.1. We do not support IPv6.
- Regular Expression: The field allows you to add a Regular Expression value to target multiple IPs, such as ranges. Learn more about How to Use Regular Expressions to Block Multiple IPs.
Click Save Changes once you have added all IPs you want to block.
What about Dynamic IP addresses?
Hotjar currently cannot block dynamic IP addresses. Instead, you can prevent Hotjar from collecting data by opting-out or enabling Do Not Track for the user you wish to block. Visit our Opt-out/Do Not Track page for more information.
How to verify an IP address is being blocked
To verify that an IP address is being blocked, login to Hotjar using the IP address you're wanting to block. If that IP address is being blocked correctly, then an IP blocking icon will appear inside the grey information bar at the top of your Hotjar dashboard.
To protect visitor privacy, Hotjar does not display IP addresses under any circumstances.
We're fully committed to compliance with the GDPR and have a dedicated resource that can be found here.
Can IPs be blocked by a user's country?
Hotjar does not support blocking IP by country. A workaround for this would be to use the Country Recording Filters once your Recording data is collected. This will remove all countries from your Recording list when viewing. Learn more about our filters in What are Recording Filters?
You can save the filter settings in a Segment for easy access to viewing settings for future use.